Christ the King Lutheran Church was first envisioned in 1958, by the Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELC) and Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Mankato. At that time, both groups pledged their financial support for a new mission congregation in Mankato, Minnesota.
On July 21, 1959, the Reverend Harry L. Anderson was called as the first pastor of the future congregation. He accepted the call in the fall of that year and began his work at CTK on July 15, 1960. In August of the same year, Miss Annette Femrite, of the ELC, assisted the new pastor with a home-to-home canvas of the hilltop area of Mankato to recruit members. The congregation was officially organized, and Pastor Anderson was installed on November 16, 1960.
CTK was the last congregation organized by the ELC, which merged with other Lutheran bodies to form The American Lutheran Church. A subsequent merger created the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Over the last 60+ years, CTK has continued to “make Christ known” through its ongoing mission and ministry. The congregation has grown in both it’s membership and impact in the community. As a congregation, CTK supports parents and families in their baptismal promises and seeks to equip its members throughout their life of faith. We gather to pray, sing and hear God word and leave worship to serve God in our homes and in the world.